After far too long, I finally got DigitalToolFactory.net up and going – it’s my work site for those not aware.
As Silverlight 3 nears release – so does Stronico – my next killer app, or in this case, a visual contact and private network manager. Hopefully it will be done by the end of summer.
I just finished the home page for the site (albeit it will change in a few days as the logo gets completed. Check it out at Stronico.com
- Sarah Silverman, Obama, and the Jewish vote – not safe for work, but worth watching
- Small Banks are doing fine it seems
- Israel asked Bush for permission to bomb Iran, and it seems Bush refused! Good. No point in throwing away all the gains in Iraq
- Making money twice – worth reading
- Who serves in the military? Well worth reading.
- The difference between Sunni and Shia in short form
- And this little nugget – via Ezra Klein
I need to ask you to support an urgent secret business relationship with a transfer of funds of great magnitude.
I am Ministry of the Treasury of the Republic of America. My country has had crisis that has caused the need for large transfer of funds of 800 billion dollars US. If you would assist me in this transfer, it would be most profitable to you.
I am working with Mr. Phil Gram, lobbyist for UBS, who will be my replacement as Ministry of the Treasury in January. As a Senator, you may know him as the leader of the American banking deregulation movement in the 1990s. This transactin is 100% safe.
This is a matter of great urgency. We need a blank check. We need the funds as quickly as possible. We cannot directly transfer these funds in the names of our close friends because we are constantly under surveillance. My family lawyer advised me that I should look for a reliable and trustworthy person who will act as a next of kin so the funds can be transferred.
Please reply with all of your bank account, IRA and college fund account numbers and those of your children and grandchildren to email@example.com so that we may transfer your commission for this transaction. After I receive that information, I will respond with detailed information about safeguards that will be used to protect the funds.
Yours Faithfully Minister of Treasury Paulson
Coming up with value-adds are usually a sign that you’re on the wrong track.
So, my week continues to suffer, as I’ve been going on less than two hours a day of sleep for since Sunday. Work however goes very well. On the political front, both Guiliani and Edwards have dropped out of the race, and I got my first robocall from the Ron Paul campaign.
Have any of my readers used Microsoft Office Accounting? As the company ramps up I’d like to get off my current system, but I’ve heard nothing about any accounting packages lately.
Also, does anyone have any recommendations about the SubVersion file management system?
So I call T-Mobile to see how to use my Blackberry as an internet connection since I’ll be without the cable for a couple days. The first tech I talk to was nice. She calls me on my land line so we can continue setting everything up.
All is good so far. She then transfers me to their special Vista tech support department. While I’m waiting for Vista support to pick up, I hear a horribly loud screeching sound on the other end and I’m disconnected. T-Mobile is a phone company mind you.
I call back, speak to a tech, who tells me I have to add a $19.99 package to my plan. The first tech made no mention of such a thing.
I’m calling back and hopefully I can bypass this nonsense.
- Robert Kaplan on private military contractors
- John Robb on private military contractors – one thing he doesn’t mention (and I don’t think he has mentioned it before) is that there could be many, many problems with highly trained combat forces under no particular command, they would make quiet a crime crew. It’s unlikely with the current stock of PMCs, but it might be with the next generation.
- Solar Power is becoming a vested interest
- For some reason validator callout extenders won’t work with a custom validator with the standard Visual Studio code, but it works with this code.
- Nazi War Criminal was found in Metro Atlanta. Why must events like these be the only time Atlanta makes national news?
- Building a tree fort as an exercise in project management
- DNI on leaving Iraq
- A client of mine was in the AJC today, I did the Atlanta Arrangements site late last year.
- Secret Geek has a nice post on the Principles of Scale
- Tyler Cowen on income inequality. I wonder if anyone is actually worried about this. No one seems to be, but everyone thinks everyone else is scared stiff. One thing to bear in mind is that the bottom is fixed at zero
From Zeldman on designing on spec
Design is only partly decoration. Mainly it is problem solving. Unless the RFP spells out site goals and user needs in phenomenal detail, you can’t create an appropriate design because you don’t yet know what problems need to be solved.
In accordance with 37 Signals design methodology, I’m designing a new application by designing the interface first. I’ll keep everyone posted.
The project is currently called Socializer, it’s based (somehow) on Bill Clinton’s early networking style.