- Berkeley wants the Marines out – not surprising given their history. We’re in the age when everyone delights in acting according to stereotype.
- More biofuel scams
- This looks cool
- I’ll be attempting somethign like this soon
- Multiple video chat
- A brilliantly simple image stabilizer
Category Archives: Alt Energy
Sunday morning links
Sorry for the light blogging work, getting the condo ready for sale is taking up quite some time. Here are some links for everyone
- From the Agitator – Sheriff: SWAT Team Necessary Because Man Is a “Self-Proclaimed Constitutionalist”
- I’m feeling a strong urge to install this in my library
- This is interesting (new alt energy that could conceivably work)
- Why must the media not do their homework on plug in hybrids? If you’re getting some some of the energy from gasoline, and some from the power grid, then miles per gallon is a bad measure of energy efficiency. Nonetheless, check out this CNN piece. FYI – CalCars has been doing this for years.
- Top Giuliani staffers go without pay, a lame thing to do.
Solar power makes a step
The much touted Nano Solar corporation, seems to be ready to actually ship it’s first product. Supposedly it makes it cost competitive with coal. A welcome development.
Wednesday rapid fire
A cool solar thermal video
- The quest for alternative energy seems to have caused an earthquake. In Switzerland no less. Overall it’s cool though.
- The dirty car art gallery – a guy actually does fine artwork on dirty cars. See to believe.
I came across an interesting article on AJC.com about a couple in Grant Park trying to erect a windmill on their own property. For those who don’t know, Grant Park is a tony neighborhood near the center of Atlanta that prides itself on diversity. Like most areas that pride themselves on diversity, it’s composed largely of childless college-educated types who overwhelmingly vote for the Democratic party.
Needless to say the neighbors are contesting the windmill. While they’re organized enough to put together a website, they don’t seem to be organized enough to utilize the Coase Theorem. Needless to say, I’m for them erecting the windmill on their own property.
Before anyone asks, wind power is usually much more efficient (per dollar) than solar energy, and also has a much lower starting price. Also, modern windmills are geared to prevent fast rotation which protects birds.
Quick Friday roundup while uploading
The good side of ethanol
It would seem that the viability of ethanol is finally being questioned in the environmental movement. About time too.
Monday link roundup
- An in-depth examination on how to build an energy efficient house
- Robot snipers in Israel
- Strobist begins Lighting 102
- No one thinks seriously about alternative energy. Check out this post from TreeHugger “New Battery Pushed Prius to 125 MPG“. It’s a great idea and invention, but it’s a plug-in hybrid. The motion is coming from the power grid. Granted electricity is usually more efficient than gasoline, but that’s like saying that a diesel engine gets infinite mileage because it doesn’t burn any gasoline at all.