Welcome DelendaEst.org – more details soon
After a discussion at the meetup I think it can be simplified as this
“Hey Dearest Chairman – I have this idea on how we can secure Russian oil, gas, food and financial traffic forever – which would neutralize much of the American advantage over us, without firing a shot”
“How will you do that?”
“We get the Russians to invade Ukraine in a cruel and barbarous fashion – The west will cut them off, which will drive Russia to a competitor for their goods, namely us. We can also see how well the weapons of the west do in actual combat. The best thing is, the Russians don’t even have to win – once these change are made there is no way to go back!”
“Make it so”
If an evil genius within the CCP foreign policy department decided to come up with a scheme that would:
- Solidify their north western flank
- Reroute Russia’s energy consumption to China in a reasonably permanent way
- Make Russia tied to the Chinese financial system
- Exhaust the Western/NATO advanced weapons supply
- Let the world see how Western mechanized tactics works against actual opposition
- Hide anything they’re doing the the Uighurs
- Make Russia totally dependent on China economically and diplomatically
- Exhaust the foreign policy budgets of the west (by funding all of the URK economy)
- Refocus all of the analytic and technical intelligence apparatus from East to West
Could they have done a better job than the Russia/Ukraine war?
An actually good metaphor from Moldbug (though I will give him some points for defining Effective Altruism as “Telescopic Philanthropy) the below is about libertarianism
When the starving go on a hunger strike, few will notice
“Software deployments should not be an occasion for bravery”
I cracked up the zoom call
See the actual page, good from far, but far from good for more details.
One undercurrent I got from the Effective Altruists at the conference (there were many) was that EAs (at a base level) are not motivated by the usual social worker reasons, righting wrongs, preventing harm, helping people, etc, but as a way to optimize the distribution of good fortune. Not sure how meaningful that is, but it does produce a marked change in delivery.