It will be updated periodically – check it out here
Soob (using a Christmas picture I used a while back) has tagged me with the Christmas meme, here we go…
- Wrapping or gift bags? – An even mix of both
- Real or artificial tree? – Real, no question, it’s just not Christmas without a fire hazard somewhere
- When do you put up the tree? – Actually I haven’t had a tree in years. I do have a Festivus pole.
- When do you take the tree down? – It used to be new years day, not it’s not that relevant
- Do you like egg nog? – a little bit on Christmas Eve and Day
- Favorite gift received as a child? – Probably an erector set. That was a long time ago though.
- Do you have a nativity scene? – Hah, no.
- Worst Christmas gift you ever received? – There are no bad gifts, but “Poisonous Plans, the book” comes closest. The Hustler trading card set I got one year was probably the most inappropriate. Fortunately I was advised to open that early.
- Mail or email Christmas cards? – Neither. I ‘ve never sent those out
- Favorite Christmas Movie? – The Wild Strawberries, I don’t know why, but it gives everything a sense of contrast.
- When do you start shopping for Christmas? – Usually the last day I can get free shipping on things.
- Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? – Corn pudding and broccoli casserole, by a substantial margin
- Clear lights or colored on the tree? – Colored
- Favorite Christmas song(s)? – This one – also the Tom Lehrer Christmas Carol and Sorriest Christmas by the Diggers
- Travel at Christmas or stay home? – I usually travel about 20 miles to be with family.
- Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer? – Probably, but I choose not to.
- Angel on the tree top or a star? – Star
- Open the presents Christmas Eve or Christmas Morning? – Morning
- Most annoying thing about this time of year? – Hearing baby boom generation pundits talk about a “War on Christmas” because the holiday isn’t exactly how they remember it when they were twelve.
- Do you decorate your tree in any specific theme or color? – Invisible!
- What do you leave for Santa? – A copy of Atlas Shrugged
- Least favorite holiday song? – No idea
- Favorite ornament? – One that doesn’t fall
- Family tradition? – The weird round robin phone calls with distant relatives. And the togetherness.
- Ever been to Midnight Mass or late-night Christmas Eve services? – Every Christmas actually.
I think everyone else has been tagged.
PurpleSlog has an interesting thought experiment of What Five Places/Events Would You Visit With A Time Machine? They are
- Israel at the start of Christianity (the same as PurpleSlogs)
- The Kennedy Assassination – I’m partial to the Oswald acted alone theory, but it would be nice to know for sure.
- The Russian revolution
- The writing of the US Declaration of Independence and Constitution
- The White House with Lincoln during the Civil War
One pleasantly departed meme is “War is good for the economy”. While never true (you can’t destroy human and physical capital and have a net increase in the economy) I haven’t heard it that much in the past few years.
While I disagree with him about the value of absolute number in military conflict (that has become increasingly less meaningful over time, particularly in the past 100 years) It’s a very interesting read, and falls into my own general meme that self-selection is the dominant force in our society.