- Ivan the Terrible Part II – Quite good, interesting insight into the Russian character and the central role autocracy has always played in Russian history. Visually it’s quite stunning too.
- The Seventh Seal – Man’s struggle with God and Death come across much more believably in subtitles.
- I Am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang – Life on the chain gang comes across as more believable than realistic, an excellent piece. The final few minutes are particularly jarring.
Both arise from this post by Althouse, entitled Wisconsin, the necrophiliac’s playground.
Surprisingly necrophilia is not illegal in Wisconsin. One of the comments is
You’re just jealous because you’re not dead.
I read the two articles linked, the first of which yielded this gem
Authorities said the three were not acquainted with the woman but had seen an obituary with her photo.
which makes me think they were holding out for a hot corpse.
Radke said Grunke asked him to help because he wanted to dig up Tennessen’s body for sex, the court documents said, and the three had stopped at a store on the way to the cemetery to buy condoms.
Condoms? One would think the necrophiliac crowd would be a bit more devil may care about such matters.
Lake boats, super-gluing my fingers together, who knows what else could have happened this weekend.
My index finger and thumb have been soaking in warm soapy water for about an hour at this point.
The lake at Stone Mountain
- HomeSite meets C#
- Warlords of Afghanistan – not quite a fansite, but I think it’s safe to say the internet is complete.
- Windmills on Amazon
- Google invests in Plug-in Hybrids – Cal Cars curiously unmentioned.
- Martial arts and motion capture
- The quest for 100 mpg cars – doable but not pretty
- A really cool bike steady-cam I’ll probably be building soon.
- I wound up building (so to speak) this camera mount this weekend.
I’ve been working for a week solid, and here I am still sitting in front of a screen. On a gorgeous day when I should be riding. Humbug.
While I’m uploading massive files, I think I’ll post some photos I took last week.
This lovely little praying mantis was outside my door reflecting on life when I came back from the fun filled Armchair Media 5th birthday party. He was kind enough to stay still long enough for me to test the macro feature on the new Canon.
Speaking of Armchair, their party was a blast, here is an interestingly dressed bartender. She called it her “Space Look”.
Sorry for the lack of updates, I’ve actually got a backlog of things to write about, as well as pictures to post, but the workload lately has been absolutely crushing, and all-nighters aren’t as easy as they used to be.
No end in sight actually.
Photos all posted. They’re in the family account on Flickr.
To the great delight of the massed family I have processed the photos from the family reunion and am currently uploading them.
- An hourly motel in the sky, more info here.
- The funniest quote I read yesterday is from this blog, to wit
Every adult must at some point have paused during some slapstick piece of debauchery and thought, “Christ, this is ridiculous“. Having testicles is like being chained to the village idiot. Sad, but there it is.
- The famous “What year is it?” essay. What year you compare our modern times to determines your current outlook, pretty interesting. Personally I think it’s 1905, and Radical Islam is best compared to the Bolshevism of that period, but all comparisons are, by definition, imperfect.
- The Seventh Seal was an incredible movie
- This is an incredibly cool time lapse movie, regrettably, in QuickTime, but still good.