From this diavlog (by Brink Lindsey) –
We’ve reached a point where a top income tax rate of 35% is Social Darwinism, and a top income tax rate of 39% is socialism.
82-year-old traded drugs for sex, Kentucky cops say – in Berea no less!
I’ve gotten three robocalls today; why would that make anyone favorably disposed to a candidate?
For the programmers out there – did any of you know about this feature (code snippets) of Visual Studio? Somehow I didn’t. If not, it’s the best 14 minutes you’ll spend today
Sorry I’ve just been posting links lately, I’ve been working a ton and my brain doesn’t have much energy left for original thought. In any case, read these
- Reason inteviews Bob Barr
- Radley Balko on why the Republicans should lose big – basically it’s the only way they’ll clear out the deadwood. One thing to bear in mind; after the election of 2004 everyone was making noise about the demise of the Democratic Party and the permanent Republican majority – things change in a hurry, and the nature of the American system basically IS a push and a pull, and a mix of the good cop and the bad cop.
- Plastic surgeons voice their opinions
- McCain and Liddy – How high of an opinion does one have to have of politicians to be shocked by criminal associations anyway? Political careers are naked grabs for power.
- What we do or who we are…
I remembered this recently, it’s from Findlay Dunne, not Mencken
A man that would expect to train lobsters to fly in a year is called a lunatic; but a man that thinks men can be turned into angels by an election is a reformer and remains at large.
Via these questions to Obama supporters – basically he attributed McCain’s positions to Obama and the people shown approved of them. Although perhaps there’s some wisdom in this – we have ever fewer ways of gauging the future, and campaign rhetoric is harder to enforce (see Bush’s 2000 foreign policy speeches, and every economic speech he’s ever made) , so choosing on personality doesn’t seem ridiculous…
Sorry for all the light blogging – I’ve been in a frenzy building the new company/web application. I also installed (with a friend) a new carrying beam in the basement – the house is far more stable and level now.
In the meantime – check out the following links
- British Health Services uses private doctors for their own people. It’s a lot like American public school teachers sending their own kids to private school. It’s a dramatic lack of faith in the system, but I suppose the government knows best, just like they say.
- In Nebraska, the safe haven laws, usually intended for infants, can be used for children up to age 18. People have been coming in from out of state to abandon their teenagers.
and then quietly suffocates Klein’s own ideological dreams (so like his, once!) with a pillow and a sigh.