From this diavlog (by Brink Lindsey) –
We’ve reached a point where a top income tax rate of 35% is Social Darwinism, and a top income tax rate of 39% is socialism.
82-year-old traded drugs for sex, Kentucky cops say – in Berea no less!
I’ve gotten three robocalls today; why would that make anyone favorably disposed to a candidate?
For the programmers out there – did any of you know about this feature (code snippets) of Visual Studio? Somehow I didn’t. If not, it’s the best 14 minutes you’ll spend today
Sorry I’ve just been posting links lately, I’ve been working a ton and my brain doesn’t have much energy left for original thought. In any case, read these
- Reason inteviews Bob Barr
- Radley Balko on why the Republicans should lose big – basically it’s the only way they’ll clear out the deadwood. One thing to bear in mind; after the election of 2004 everyone was making noise about the demise of the Democratic Party and the permanent Republican majority – things change in a hurry, and the nature of the American system basically IS a push and a pull, and a mix of the good cop and the bad cop.
- Plastic surgeons voice their opinions
- McCain and Liddy – How high of an opinion does one have to have of politicians to be shocked by criminal associations anyway? Political careers are naked grabs for power.
- What we do or who we are…
I remembered this recently, it’s from Findlay Dunne, not Mencken
A man that would expect to train lobsters to fly in a year is called a lunatic; but a man that thinks men can be turned into angels by an election is a reformer and remains at large.
Via these questions to Obama supporters – basically he attributed McCain’s positions to Obama and the people shown approved of them. Although perhaps there’s some wisdom in this – we have ever fewer ways of gauging the future, and campaign rhetoric is harder to enforce (see Bush’s 2000 foreign policy speeches, and every economic speech he’s ever made) , so choosing on personality doesn’t seem ridiculous…
Sorry for all the light blogging – I’ve been in a frenzy building the new company/web application. I also installed (with a friend) a new carrying beam in the basement – the house is far more stable and level now.
In the meantime – check out the following links
- British Health Services uses private doctors for their own people. It’s a lot like American public school teachers sending their own kids to private school. It’s a dramatic lack of faith in the system, but I suppose the government knows best, just like they say.
- In Nebraska, the safe haven laws, usually intended for infants, can be used for children up to age 18. People have been coming in from out of state to abandon their teenagers.